Family Law Archives - Groth & Associates

Family Law

child support in Ohio

What Does Child Support Cover in Ohio?

By | Child Support, Divorce, Family Law, Ohio, Toledo | No Comments

Parents are legally obligated to support their children, and this obligation continues even if a parent doesn’t live with the child. After most divorces in Ohio, one parent will have primary custody of the child, and the other will pay child support. The same is true if the parents never married.

Child support covers many different things. Our Toledo divorce lawyer looks at some of the more important below.

Basic Necessities

Children need food, clothes, electricity, clean water, transportation, and other basic necessities. Child support money goes to these things.

Of course, when calculating the amount of child support owed, a judge is not interested in looking at receipts that show how much a parent spends for these necessities. Instead, a judge basically looks at each parent’s income and the amount of time they have with the children to arrive at a number. This number represents the basic child support obligation.

Child Care

The custodial parent might work, so he or she needs to pay for childcare. These expenses are not included in the basic support obligation. Instead, the child support worksheet requires information about whether either parent has out-of-pocket child care expenses. If your three-year-old goes to daycare, for example, then this is an expense a child support order can cover.

Health Insurance

One parent should provide health insurance to a child. For example, Dad might be the custodial parent, but Mom has health insurance through her job. In this example, a judge might order Mom to carry her daughter on her policy, even if she does not have primary custody.

If neither parent has health insurance through a job, then the judge might divide the costs of getting a private health insurance policy. Low-income children might also qualify for Medicaid.

Medical Expenses

Even with health insurance, children often have medical expenses that one parent must pay out-of-pocket. These expenses can include physician, optical, dental, and psychological services. Medical expenses also include orthodontic work.

In Ohio, child support orders should contain cash medical support. This is the amount of money that Parent A pays to Parent B each year and represents a fund that Parent B draws on to pay medical expenses.

Of course, expenses might exceed this amount. For example, parent A might pay Parent B $400 a year for medical expenses. If the child has $1,000 of expenses, then $600 is not covered.

These uncovered expenses are called “extraordinary medical expenses,” and the child support order should identify how they will be paid. The order might assign all extraordinary medical expenses to one parent or divide them on a percentage basis. As an example, the order might state Parent A must cover 80% of all extraordinary medical expenses, and Parent B must chip in 20%.

Contact Our Child Support Lawyer for More Details

Child support is one of the more confusing aspects of a divorce. We encourage all parents to fully understand their child support order and do what is right for their children. For assistance, contact Groth & Associates today for a free consultation.

divorce in Ohio

5 Things To Do Before You File For Divorce

By | Divorce, Family Law, Ohio, Toledo | No Comments

You probably gave your situation a lot of thought before deciding to end your marriage, and your time investment was a wise one. Divorce is life-changing and not something to take lightly. When you move to the next stage and are ready to initiate the process, you have another opportunity to make a smart decision with proper planning. It’s essential to take a measured approach and set the proper foundation before filing. The first step is retaining an experienced Ohio divorce lawyer to represent you and protect your interests. From there, some additional To Do’s include:

  1. Get the big picture with respect to finances. One of the key issues in a divorce is dividing up the assets acquired and debt incurred during your marriage. Ohio’s statute on equitable distribution of assets requires that these matters be divided fairly, so you’ll need to know where you stand financially. As such, you should itemize and estimate the value of all real estate and personal property, noting any assets that are encumbered by a mortgage or loan. In addition, write down the balance due on all other debts and lines of credit.
  1. Set a budget for your post-divorce future. Income and expenses will be very different after divorce, so don’t wait until it’s final to establish a responsible budget. The best way to develop a plan is to work on a monthly basis, listing all income you’ll receive from work, alimony, and child support. Then, write down all expenditures, including what you might be paying for spousal and child support. Once you have totals, you’ll come up with a figure of what you can spend on non-essentials.
  1. Weigh your options for living arrangements. Some couples opt to remain in their family home during divorce, but it’s not always an ideal arrangement. Therefore, you’ll need to consider what makes sense for your situation, especially if you have minor children.
  1. Close joint credit accounts and open one in your own name. By paying off all existing credit cards, parties eliminate the possibility that one will run up huge debts during the divorce process. At the same time, get a card in your own name so you can establish good credit going forward.
  1. Separate divorce from other aspects of your life. Your divorce shouldn’t be some imposing intrusion on your entire life, so do your best to segment the process from your work and personal relationships. Consider it a task you need to accomplish to ensure a brighter future, and look forward instead of back.

Reach Out to a Toledo, OH Divorce Attorney for Assistance

These 5 things to do before filing for divorce are made easier when you retain skilled legal counsel as early on in the process as possible. Our divorce lawyers at Groth & Associates can advise you every step of the way, including initiating proceedings, negotiating settlement, and representing you in court. Please call 419.482.1176 or go online to set up a consultation regarding your case. We can explain more about your options after learning more about your specific circumstances.


We are OPEN: we use email, phone and video conferencing to serve our clients remotely