SKILLED IN TRUCK ACCIDENT CASES
Let Us Be Your Voice in Settlement Negotiations
Truck crashes are some of the worst accidents on the road. Mammoth 18-wheelers and other commercial trucks are so much larger and heavier than smaller passenger sedans that any collision is usually tragic. At Groth & Associates, we represent people like you when you are injured in a truck accident. Our Columbus truck accident lawyers have obtained favorable settlements and verdicts for those at the mercy of large trucking companies and their insurers.
If you are seeking legal guidance Groth & Associates has the experience you need.
Fill out the form and we will have a member of our firm contact you as soon as possible.
FAIR COMPENSATION FOR SERIOUS INJURIES
Truck accidents can leave people in considerable pain. Whether you were injured in a rollover, jackknife, underride, or override collision, you probably were sent to the hospital for immediate care. Our clients often need surgery and months or years of rehabilitation to recover physically from these accidents.
This is where our Columbus personal injury lawyers step in. We have the experience needed to obtain favorable compensation for your injuries. If the truck driver or another entity was to blame for the accident, we can negotiate a settlement which should cover:
- The cost of medical care, including future medical expenses for serious or permanent injuries
- Lost income or lost wages
- Lost future earnings capacity
- Property damage (such as damage to your car)
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
Don’t let the trucking company or its insurer dictate what is reasonable compensation. All too often, they refuse to fairly compensate victims who are not represented by an attorney, so contact our Columbus truck accident lawyer today.
OTHER PRACTICE AREA CASES
EVIDENCE FOR TRUCK ACCIDENT CASES
To obtain compensation, we need to prove that someone else was at fault for the collision. In most truck accident cases, this party could be the truck driver who was negligent and/or his employer. In other situations, a defect on the truck could be to blame, such as defective tires. We might sue the truck manufacturer, a mechanic who did shoddy repairs, or a loading company.
Evidence of negligence can take many forms. We often seek out information stored on the truck’s computer system to prove how long the driver was on the road or whether he braked before the wreck. We might also interview or depose witnesses, including the driver, or use proof of chemical test results if the driver was intoxicated or high.
Trucking companies know the importance of evidence. Many of them will send out a team of investigators an hour or two after a collision. These investigators gather as much evidence as they can find to help their client: the trucking company.
WHY BRINGING A TRUCK ACCIDENT CLAIM IS DIFFICULT
We wish that accident victims were treated fairly by insurers and offered reasonable settlements in a timely manner. Unfortunately, most truck accident victims must work hard to receive a fraction of what they deserve. Trucking companies and their insurers aggressively defend against even the most meritorious claims, and you need an attorney in your corner who is ready to get to work for you.
There are several reasons trucking companies fight so hard:
- More money is in play for truck accident victims, because your injuries are so serious. A low-speed car accident might only lead to some neck pain that goes away in a couple of weeks. That type of injury could cost a couple of hundred dollars in care. But truck accidents usually cause tens of thousands of dollars in damages. When more money is in dispute, insurance companies definitely drag their feet.
- Truck companies know you need money to cover lost income and pay for medical care. They delay the investigation to put pressure on you to settle for a smaller amount than what is fair.
- Truck accidents are often more complex, and there’s more evidence to comb through and synthesize. It takes longer to determine fault.
- You probably need extensive medical care to help your recovery. This type of rehabilitation or physical therapy can be exhausting, and you probably can’t negotiate a settlement at the same time.
Hire Groth & Associates and make things easier on yourself. We have tackled countless claims, and we know how to negotiate with Ohio trucking companies for fair compensation. If an insurer is acting in bad faith, we can step in and remind them of their legal obligations. We might also file a complaint with insurance regulators or even bring a legal claim for bad faith.
CONTACT GROTH & ASSOCIATES TODAYRequest a free consultation
TIME LIMITS FOR BRINGING CLAIMS
Ohio’s statute of limitations mandates that injured victims file a lawsuit based on their truck accident within two years. This is an unforgiving law, and if you miss the deadline then your case can be permanently dismissed from court. To some people, two years might seem like sufficient time to file a lawsuit. But time can pass quickly, especially if you are busy rehabbing injuries or trying to negotiate a settlement. Let our attorneys file a lawsuit in the appropriate court to protect you.
WHAT TO DO AFTER A COLUMBUS TRUCK ACCIDENT
Please remember to take the following steps after a crash. Of course, many people are in pain or confused, so it is understandable if you can’t do anything but wait for an ambulance to pull up and whisk you to the hospital. But the following steps can improve your ability to hold the trucking company responsible for the collision, so do as many as you can:
- Identify any witnesses to the accident. Eyewitnesses are an excellent resource. They can explain what happened and back up your own story. Although you can certainly testify, a neutral witness is seen as more credible. If they saw a trucker run a red light, then this is excellent information to have. Try to talk to witnesses and ask for their names and contact information.
- Call the police to report the accident. A police officer will come to the scene and create a crash report. If you suspect the trucker is high or drunk, the officer could also arrest him for DUI. We find breath test results very helpful when building a case.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. You can use your phone. Remember, no insurance adjuster who works on your claim was at the accident scene. They have no idea what happened. Pictures help us “see” the collision in vivid detail, so the more pictures you can get, the better. Take pictures of where all vehicles ended up, along with the damage to your car and the truck. If you are too hurt, ask a bystander to get pictures for you.
- Don’t admit fault to the trucker or anyone else. That will only result in less compensation—or no compensation at all.
- Go to the hospital as soon as you are done with the cops. Tell a doctor you were involved in a truck accident and identify where you feel pain. Your doctor can order appropriate diagnostic tests and then help you get the necessary treatment.
- Decline to offer a recorded statement to any insurance adjuster. You really should talk about your accident with a Columbus truck accident lawyer first.
- Politely decline to accept a settlement offer from the insurance company. Tell them you need to talk with your lawyer, and hire a lawyer if you don’t have one. The insurance company might put pressure on you to accept their offer quickly. You don’t have to accept anything until you meet with a lawyer.
Words from our clients
Stevin is by far the best Lawyer that I have encountered. He is professional, knowledgeable, and very patient. I have lived out of the country for the past 5 years and anytime I needed legal assistance he has always been there for me as if I was next door. I would strongly recommend Stevin Groth no matter what the circumstances are. His dedication and attention to detail is what’s appreciated the most. Thanks for all that you have done and you will continue to do for me.
Stevin was very professional and got me the best possible outcome for my case. I would recommend him to anybody that is looking for a great quality lawyer.
I had the pleasure of working with Stevin Groth on a case. He went above and beyond what I expected. I expected the worst and he fought for me way better than anyone would have. Will use again if needed. Cannot express my gratitude enough. Thank you.
REACH OUT TO OUR COLUMBUS TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS
Many truck accident victims report that their lives are never the same following a wreck. But there is hope. Groth & Associates has helped victims just like you fight back and take control of your lives. A settlement to compensate you for your injuries is a good first step. Call or send us an email to set up a free consultation.