SKILLED IN CRIMINAL DEFENSE
CRIMINAL DEFENSE CASES CAN BE DIFFICULT SO CALL THE EXPERIENCED LAWYERS AT GROTH & ASSOCIATES TODAY
Facing charges for any type of crime is a serious matter, which has the potential to impact both your personal freedom as well as your financial security, now and in the years to come. If convicted, you could be facing potential jail time, fines, and a criminal record, which could prevent you from getting a job, renting an apartment, or obtaining a loan.
At Groth & Associates, our experienced Ohio criminal defense lawyers understand the serious ramifications you are facing, and provide the aggressive legal representation you need at a time like this. We can advise you on your best course of action, while helping you strategize a strong, effective legal defense.
If you are seeking legal guidance Groth & Associates has the experience you need.
Fill out the form and we will have a member of our firm contact you as soon as possible.
TYPES OF CRIMINAL CASES WE REPRESENT
Unfortunately, even otherwise law abiding citizens can find themselves facing potentially serious criminal charges. Your situation may be one in which you were falsely accused, acted in self-defense, or were unknowingly involved with others who were engaged in criminal activity. You may have made a single and uncharacteristic error in judgment that led to your charges, or you may simply be guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
At Groth & Associates, we understand how these situations can occur, and how common it is for even innocent people to be accused of a crime. Our criminal defense lawyers act as a strong legal advocate on your behalf, dedicated to protecting your legal rights and providing the aggressive representation you need when facing the following types of charges:
- Murder, homicide, and manslaughter;
- Assault and battery;
- Theft and burglary offenses;
- Gun crimes and weapons offenses;
- Drug crimes, including simple possession, trafficking, manufacture and distribution;
- Sex crimes and sexual assault;
- Domestic violence and abuse;
- DUI and traffic offenses.
OTHER PRACTICE AREA CASES
PENALTIES IN OHIO CRIMINAL MATTERS
IF YOU NEED A CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER CALL THE ATTORNEY’S AT GROTH & ASSOCIATES TODAY AND SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION.
When you have been accused of committing any type of crime, the types of penalties you face depend on a variety of factors. In addition to the actual law you are accused of violating and the charges against you, the prosecuting attorney in your case will look at extenuating circumstances, such as when and where the crime occurred, if there were any victims involved, and the victims’ ages and the extent of their injuries. The presence of a weapon, such as a gun or anything that could conceivably be used to threaten or cause harm to others, is a significant factor in criminal matters, as is your own past conduct and the existence of a prior criminal record. Under Title 29 of the Ohio Revised Code, criminal charges are classified into two distinct categories:
Misdemeanor charges are generally filed in lesser offenses, in certain victimless crimes, or against those with no prior criminal record. Examples of misdemeanor crimes in Ohio may include traffic offenses such as speeding and DUI, possession of minor amounts of drugs or narcotics, and certain types of non-violent theft crimes. Under the Ohio Rules for Penalties and Sentencing, misdemeanors are classified into categories, which carry the following penalties:
- Misdemeanor of the First Degree: Fines up to $1,000 and up to six months’ jail time;
- Misdemeanor of the Second Degree: Fines up to $750 and up to 90 days’ jail time;
- Misdemeanor of the Third Degree: Fines up to $500 and up to 60 days’ jail time;
- Misdemeanor of the Fourth Degree: Fines up to $250 and up to 30 days’ jail time.
Felony charges are filed in more serious criminal matters, such as robbery, assault, drug manufacturing or trafficking, and murder or attempted murder. Similar to misdemeanor charges, felonies are also classified under Ohio law according to degree, but generally carry much higher fines and a mandatory minimum prison sentence. Penalties for felonies in Ohio include the following:
- Felony of the First Degree: Mandatory minimum sentence of between three and ten years, and fines up to $20,000;
- Felony of the Second Degree: Mandatory minimum sentence of between two and eight years, and fines up to $15,000;
- Felony of the Third Degree: Mandatory minimum sentence of between one and five years, and fines up to $10,000;
- Felony of the Fourth Degree: Mandatory minimum sentence of between six and eighteen months, and fines up to $5,000;
- Felony of the Fifth Degree: Mandatory minimum sentence of between six and twelve months, and fines up to $2,500.
Oftentimes in criminal matters, it is not uncommon for the person accused to be facing multiple charges, with multiple prison sentences. If convicted, the judge or jury in the matter will determine whether the sentences are carried out concurrently, with all sentences running at the same time, or consecutively, with each sentence running separately, one after the other.
Words from our clients
Our experience with Attorney Stevin Groth was nothing short of life changing.
When we first contacted Mr. Groth, he gave us his cell phone number and we were able to directly contact him day or night. His knowledge of the Ohio judicial system was astounding. He handled all aspects of our case himself, never once handing off our case to jr. associates. Stevin had positive relationships with all the judges, district attorneys and court personal that we came in contact with. Stevin’s persuasive arguments on our son’s behalf cleared him of all charges. Because of Stevin’s abilities, our son is able to move forward with his life without the stigma of a criminal record. We could not recommend Stevin Groth more highly.
ALFRED & JENNIFER
Dan is an amazing attorney. He had my divorce finalized in a short period of time. A lot quicker than I thought it was going to be and for that I’m thankful! Dan knew exactly what he was talking about. Any questions I had Dan, and his assistant, Michelle was glad to answer. The outcome of my divorce was exactly what I was hoping for.
Allison Lawrence is the best lawyer I have hired.she was attentive when I presented my case to her & knew exactly how to handle it.very professional person when it comes to her job,also a humanitarian.Allison has given me great advice in a free consultation,as well as stood by side in court with chargers pending,of course she got the charges dismissed!!Great attorney,very dependable.in need of a lawyer,I highly recommend Allison Lawrence.
HOW OUT OHIO CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEYS CAN HELP
If you have been arrested or charged with a crime, one phone call is all it takes to get an experienced Ohio criminal defense lawyer hard at work on your case. At Groth & Associates, our extensive legal knowledge and experience in the Ohio Rules of Criminal Procedure ensure you get the aggressive legal representation you
need to make sure your rights are protected, while we strategize a legal defense strategy to help ensure the best possible outcome in your particular case. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your charges, a strong, effective legal defense often includes the following:
- Arranging for bond hearings after your arrest, to get you released on bail;
- Requesting a preliminary hearing, where a judge will rule on the validity of your charges while our criminal defense lawyer reviews the prosecution’s evidence against you;
- Pursuing our own independent investigation into your charges and compiling the evidence necessary to defend you against any wrongdoing;
- Locating witnesses and obtaining statements in your defense;
- Filing pre-trial motions and arranging negotiations with the prosecuting attorney;
- Arguing for a dismissal or a reduction in the charges against you;
- Selecting a jury and arguing your case at trial;
- Arguing for sentencing that avoids potential jail time;
- Making motions to overturn verdicts and filing appeals in your case.
LET OUR EXPERIENCED CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYERS ASSIST YOU
When you are facing criminal charges, get the strong legal defense you need and contact the Toledo lawyers at Groth & Associates today. The best legal defense begins early, and it is vitally important to secure the legal representation you require as
soon as possible to help ensure that both your rights and freedoms are protected. A criminal conviction can have serious ramifications on every aspect of your life, both now and in the future. Reach out to us now and let us begin working on your case.