SKILLED IN PERSONAL INJURY
PERSONAL INJURIES CAN CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGES AND CAN OCCUR ANYWHERE.
Whether stubbing your toe or falling down, being involved in a minor fender-bender or knocking your knee on the table, there is nothing pleasant about suffering an injury, no matter how minor it is. And while minor injuries can be inconvenient and frustrating, major injuries can be absolutely devastating physically, psychologically, and financially.
At the law office of Groth & Associates, our Sylvania personal injury lawyers can offer you support and guidance as you navigate the personal injury claims process. If you have been seriously injured, call our law office today to learn more about how we can help you.
PERSONAL INJURY CASES WE HANDLE
We work on a variety of personal injury case types and feel confident that we can represent you well if you have been seriously harmed due to another’s fault. Our personal injury practice areas include:
- Motor vehicle accidents. Being involved in a motor vehicle crash is one of the most common sources of serious injury and death. We work on all motor vehicle crash case types, including truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, bike accidents, pedestrian accidents, single-vehicle collisions, rollover accidents, multi-vehicle collisions, and more.
- Premises liability accidents. If someone is injured on another’s property and the property owner’s negligence was to blame, then they may be able to bring an action for damages directly against the property owner. This is known as a premises liability action. Common types of premises liability actions include swimming pool accidents and slip and falls. Sometimes, dog bites fall into this category, too, although Ohio maintains a strict liability statute of dog bites.
- Medical malpractice. Nothing is more shocking than being injured at your doctor’s hands–the person that you expect to help you. If you have been injured, you can bring forth a medical malpractice claim if you can prove that your doctor breached the medical standard of care owed to you.
- Workplace accidents. While those who are injured on the job usually need to file workers’ compensation claims and are barred from filing a suit directly against their employers, a third-party liability claim may exist. If you’ve been injured at work and aren’t sure what your options are, call our Sylvania personal injury lawyers for an overview.
If you have been injured in an accident type that you don’t see listed above, please call our law firm directly and we’ll let you know if we can help. If we can’t, we’ll refer you to someone who can.
WHAT YOU NEED TO PROVE TO WIN YOUR PERSONAL INJURY CLAIM
In order to win a personal injury claim and recover the full settlement that you deserve, you’ll need to prove four different elements. These include:
- Duty of care. The first thing that you’ll need to prove is that the party against whom you’re filing suit (the defendant) owed you a duty of care. Oftentimes, the duty of care is implied. For example, your doctor owes you a duty of care–you don’t have to prove that. If you were on someone else’s property, though, and are bringing a claim against the property owner, you may have to prove that you weren’t trespassing; if you were, the property owner may have owed you no duty of care other than to refrain from causing you wanton harm.
- Breach of duty of care. The second element of a personal injury claim is proving that the defendant breached the duty of care owed to you. Using the examples above, if the doctor failed to refer you to a specialist when they should have, they breached the duty of care. Or, if you were on a property lawfully and the property owner failed to remedy a known hazard, they breached the duty of care.
- Causation. Unless you can prove causation, you won’t have a case. Causation means that you can prove that your injuries would not have occurred but for the defendant’s breach of the duty of care. For example, if the doctor failed to refer you to a specialist, was this failure the proximate cause of other harm that you suffered?
Damages. Finally, you must prove damages. Examples of damages in a personal injury claim include medical bills, property damage costs, lost wages, pain, suffering, and emotional distress.
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT FILING A PERSONAL INJURY CLAIM IN SYLVANIA, OHIO
In addition to understanding the different elements of a personal injury claim, you’ll also need to know the rules for filing a claim.
- Statute of limitations. One of the most important rules about filing a civil action in Ohio is how much time you have to take action, known as the statute of limitations. In Ohio, you only have two years from the date of your injury to file a personal injury suit for damages. For this reason, it’s important to initiate the process quickly.
- Cap on punitive damages. In the event that you can prove that the defendant acted egregiously, then you may be able to recover punitive damages, which are meant to punish the defendant for their actions. However, punitive damages are capped in our state at two times the amount of compensatory damages award, with a cap of $350,000 for small employers and individuals.
WORDS FROM OUR CLIENTS
Our experience with Attorney Stevin Groth was nothing short of life changing.ALFRED & JENNIFER
When we first contacted Mr. Groth, he gave us his cell phone number and we were able to directly contact him day or night. His knowledge of the Ohio judicial system was astounding. He handled all aspects of our case himself, never once handing off our case to jr. associates. Stevin had positive relationships with all the judges, district attorneys and court personal that we came in contact with. Stevin’s persuasive arguments on our son’s behalf cleared him of all charges. Because of Stevin’s abilities, our son is able to move forward with his life without the stigma of a criminal record. We could not recommend Stevin Groth more highly.
Dan is an amazing attorney. He had my divorce finalized in a short period of time. A lot quicker than I thought it was going to be and for that I’m thankful! Dan knew exactly what he was talking about. Any questions I had Dan, and his assistant, Michelle was glad to answer. The outcome of my divorce was exactly what I was hoping for.LAURIE
Thank You Dan for your services!
Allison Lawrence is the best lawyer I have hired.she was attentive when I presented my case to her & knew exactly how to handle it.very professional person when it comes to her job,also a humanitarian.Allison has given me great advice in a free consultation,as well as stood by side in court with chargers pending,of course she got the charges dismissed!!Great attorney,very dependable.in need of a lawyer,I highly recommend Allison Lawrence.RONNIE
HOW OUR PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS CAN HELP
Our personal injury lawyers understand how overwhelming an injury can be. If you’ve been harmed, we want to help. When you call our team, we’ll handle 100 percent of your case, from the investigatory process to hiring experts to calculate your damages to filing your claim to negotiating your settlement and more. Our services are comprehensive and effective, and we always act with our clients’ best interests in mind.
If you’ve been injured, don’t hesitate to call us today. You can reach our personal injury lawyers by phone or online to get started. We offer free consultations and always work on a contingency fee basis. Reach our experienced Sylvania personal injury lawyers by phone or online now.