SKILLED IN CAR ACCIDENTS
CAR ACCIDENTS CAN HAPPEN AT ANYTIME AND WHEN THEY DO THE DAMAGES CAN BE SEVERE.
Most people never really plan for a car accident – they purchase insurance, and assume that they’ll never need it. But car accidents happen all of the time, and severe car accidents occur more frequently than anyone would like to think. At the law office of Groth & Associates, our experienced car accident lawyers understand that when you’re involved in a car accident, shock may be your initial reaction.
After that, you may feel totally overwhelmed by the process, and unsure of what to do next, who you can trust, and what next steps to take. When you call our Gibsonburg, OH car accident lawyers, we will provide you with the aggressive representation you need. You can get started today by calling our law firm directly and requesting a free consultation.
UNDERSTANDING THE CAR ACCIDENT CLAIMS PROCESS: WHO PAYS AND STEPS TO TAKE
If you are involved in a car accident and you suffer damages, whether those are to your vehicle or your person, it’s important that you understand how the claims process will unfold and the best practices for navigating the claims process. Consider the steps to take after a car accident, and then the following overview regarding fault and liability after a Gibsonburg crash.
- Call the police to report the accident; collect evidence while you wait. Immediately after an accident, you should check to make sure everyone in your vehicle is OK and that your car is in a safe location. Then, you should call the police to report the accident (the police should come to the scene). As you wait for the police to arrive, you should collect as much evidence about the accident as possible. This includes the other driver’s information, as well as witnesses’ names, photos of the accident, date and time, weather conditions, and more.
*Note that there may be situations in which a crash is so serious and the injuries suffered by an injured person so severe that calling the police and collective evidence will prove impossible.
- Get medical care. The second-most-important thing that you should do after being involved in a crash is to seek medical care (this may be the most important thing that you do depending on the extent of injuries). You should keep thorough documentation of all care received, and be sure to follow your doctor’s orders!
- Inform the insurance company. You need to inform the insurance company of the accident as soon as possible – more on this later.
- Accident investigation. After you provide the insurance company with notice of your accident, it will open an investigation into the crash and your injuries. Note that you, too, have the right to open your own investigation.
- Send a demand letter. After your injuries have healed to the maximum extent possible and your damages have been totaled, you should send a demand letter to the insurance company requesting compensation for the full extent of harm.
- Negotiate your claim. Once a demand letter has been sent, the insurance company will likely counter with an offer that is much less than you have requested. You have the right to reject this offer, which will start the negotiation process.
While unlikely, a seventh step may involve litigation. Otherwise, the claim will be settled through out-of-court negotiations.
Fault and liability
In Ohio, liability for an accident is based on fault; whoever caused the accident is responsible for paying for the damages that result. This is why drivers are required to carry liability insurance. In some cases, fault is shared. When this is the case, each party may be held liable for damages in proportion to their degree of fault.
Ohio’s fault rules, or tort liability rules, also allow a not-at-fault party to file a lawsuit directly against the at-fault party.
For a free legal consultation with a car accident lawyer serving Gibsonburg, call (419) 930-3030
INSURANCE REPORTING AND THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS IN GIBSONBURG, OHIO
As you move through the claims process, something to be very aware of is time. There are three primary reasons why time is important:
You are required to provide the insurance company of notice of the accident within a certain amount of time (check your policy for specifics). If you fail to do so, your insurer may reserve the right to deny your claim.
The more time that passes before the evidence-collection and investigatory processes begin, the more evidence that could be lost or destroyed. This could have a very negative effect on the overall outcome of your claim.
There is a statute of limitations in place (Ohio Revised Code Section 2305.10) that limits how much time you have to file a lawsuit should out-of-court negotiations fail. The statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident in Ohio.
It’s also worth noting that, in most cases, the sooner you begin the claims process, the sooner you will be able to settle your claim and recover the compensation award you deserve.
Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (419) 930-3030
WHAT DOES A CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER DO?
A car accident lawyer is responsible for the bulk of the claims process, including:
- Investigating your accident;
- Determining whether or not experts are needed and, if so, hiring those experts;
- Proving fault;
- Determining liability;
- Calculating damages;
- Organizing claim documents;
- Sending a demand letter;
- Negotiating a settlement; and
- If necessary, filing a lawsuit and representing a client in court.
Many people who don’t initially think that they need a lawyer end up benefiting significantly by working with one. Don’t assume that an insurance company will be working for you or will be interested in making sure that you get paid what you deserve; an insurance adjuster’s primary goal is to save the insurance company money.
CALL OUR GIBSONBURG, OH CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS TODAY
To learn more about working with our Gibsonburg, Ohio car accident attorneys, please call our law office directly or send us a message at your convenience. We have recovered multi-million dollar awards for our clients, have decades of combined legal experience, and always work on a contingency fee basis.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
TRUST AN UPPER SANDUSKY, OH CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS
If your life has been turned upside down by an auto crash, legal representation is critical to getting the compensation you deserve. To learn more about our legal services for accident victims throughout Northwest Ohio, please contact Groth & Associates. You can set up a no-cost consultation by calling 419.482.1176 or visiting us online.