SKILLED IN CAR ACCIDENT CASES
WE CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR RIGHTS
Parking lot accidents are extremely common. While these accidents happen regularly, most of the time, they occur at low speeds, and therefore those involved rarely suffer serious or fatal injuries. That being said, these accidents can still be costly; damages to the exterior of a vehicle can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to repair, and treatment for even minor injuries, such as a minor whiplash injury, can be expensive.
If you’ve been in a parking lot accident and have suffered damages as a result, don’t make the mistake of assuming you have no legal recourse. At the law offices of Groth & Associates, our Toledo parking lot accident lawyers can help you to understand your rights after a parking lot crash and take action to recover the compensation that you deserve for harm.
If you are seeking legal guidance Groth & Associates has the experience you need.
Fill out the form and we will have a member of our firm contact you as soon as possible.
TOP CAUSES OF PARKING LOT ACCIDENTS
The majority of parking lot accidents are the result of human error. Some of the top examples of human errors that lead to parking lot crashes include:
- Driving while distracted;
- Failing to look before reversing;
- Driving too fast;
- Going the wrong way; and
- Failing to yield.
In addition to drivers’ errors, sometimes, parking lot accidents can be the result of parking lot or parking garage defects, such as poor lighting, incorrect signage, or construction or maintenance defects. Poor weather conditions, including ice and snow, can also contribute to a parking lot accident.
OTHER PRACTICE AREA CASES
PARKING LOT DAMAGES AND INJURIES
PARKING LOT CAR ACCIDENTS ARE COMMON
As stated above, parking lot accidents are usually minor, in large part because it is rare for vehicles to be traveling at speeds greater than 10 miles per hour within a parking lot (although it does happen). As such, parking lot collisions rarely result in injuries that demand emergency care or that are life-threatening; however, that does not mean that damages and injuries don’t result, and that these losses aren’t costly.
Some of the most common parking lot accident-related injuries include:
- Head and facial injuries (especially when occupants are not wearing their seatbelt at the time of collision);
- Whiplash injuries; and
- Neck and back injuries.
In addition to injuries, vehicles can also be damaged, even when traveling at low speeds. Dents, dings, and scratches to paint can be expensive to repair. If the parking lot collision involves a pedestrian, the injuries suffered to the pedestrian may very well be significant, and could include a traumatic brain injury, bone fractures, internal injuries, spinal cord injury, external injuries, and more.
Words from our clients
Our experience with Attorney Stevin Groth was nothing short of life changing.
When we first contacted Mr. Groth, he gave us his cell phone number and we were able to directly contact him day or night. His knowledge of the Ohio judicial system was astounding. He handled all aspects of our case himself, never once handing off our case to jr. associates. Stevin had positive relationships with all the judges, district attorneys and court personal that we came in contact with. Stevin’s persuasive arguments on our son’s behalf cleared him of all charges. Because of Stevin’s abilities, our son is able to move forward with his life without the stigma of a criminal record. We could not recommend Stevin Groth more highly.
ALFRED & JENNIFER
Dan is an amazing attorney. He had my divorce finalized in a short period of time. A lot quicker than I thought it was going to be and for that I’m thankful! Dan knew exactly what he was talking about. Any questions I had Dan, and his assistant, Michelle was glad to answer. The outcome of my divorce was exactly what I was hoping for.
Allison Lawrence is the best lawyer I have hired.she was attentive when I presented my case to her & knew exactly how to handle it.very professional person when it comes to her job,also a humanitarian.Allison has given me great advice in a free consultation,as well as stood by side in court with chargers pending,of course she got the charges dismissed!!Great attorney,very dependable.in need of a lawyer,I highly recommend Allison Lawrence.
STEPS TO TAKE AFTER A PARKING LOT ACCIDENT
One of the biggest mistakes that a driver involved in a parking lot accident can make is failing to take the accident seriously, perhaps simply waving the other driver on and deciding that because damages don’t initially seem too serious, taking the time to report the accident and get the other driver’s information isn’t worth it. However, parking lot accidents should be treated with the same amount of care and concern as regular accidents. As such, steps to take after a parking lot accident include:
- Call the police and file an accident report. Even if your accident is minor and occurs on private property, you should still call the police and file an accident report. Ask for a copy of this report for your records.
- Get the other driver’s information. Anytime you are involved in an accident, regardless of where it is or the amount of damage that seems apparent at first, you should get the information of the other driver involved. This includes the driver’s name, contact information, insurance information, and vehicle type and license plate number.
- Seek medical care. Again, note that even minor injuries should be looked at by a professional after a crash. If you do end up having an injury, such as whiplash, that requires medical care down the line, is painful or disabling, or requires you to miss work, having proof that you sought medical care right after the accident (establishing causation between the accident and your injury) will be critical.
- Tell your insurer. The other driver may try to persuade you not to inform your insurance company of the accident, offering to pay you out of pocket. While this is an option, note that if you do need compensation from an insurance company and you fail to notify them immediately, you could be barred from recovery.
WHO’S AT FAULT
Because Ohio is an at-fault car insurance state, you’ll need to demonstrate that the other driver was to blame for the parking lot accident in order to recover compensation for your losses under the driver’s liability insurance policy. This means proving that the driver failed to act with the standard of care that the situation demanded. Types of evidence that can help you to prove fault include:
- Stop and yield signs;
- Parking lot video camera footage;
- Eyewitnesses’ testimonies; and
- Damage to vehicles (angles can tell a lot about how a crash occurred).
HOW A TOLEDO PARKING LOT ACCIDENT LAWYER CAN HELP
A Toledo parking lot accident lawyer can help you to understand your right to file a claim following a parking lot crash and recover the full amount of damages owed to you. Ways your attorney will work for you include:
- Gathering evidence;
- Interviewing witnesses;
- Handling claim documents;
- Representing you in conversations with the insurance adjuster;
- Calculating the value of your damages; and
- Negotiating your settlement amount.
Working with an attorney can reduce stress, and allow you to focus on moving on with your life with your attorney handles your car accident claim. With an attorney, you also improve your chances of recovering the full settlement amount that you deserve, rather than being pressured into accepting a low-balled offer.
TAKE ACTION TODAY BY CALLING OUR PARKING LOT ACCIDENT LAWYERS IN OH
At the office of Growth & Associates, our lawyers are ready to serve you. To learn more about how we can help you maximize your settlement after a parking lot crash, please call our Toledo parking lot accident lawyers directly to request a free consultation, or send us a message telling us more about your accident using the intake form found on our website. We work on a contingency fee basis and always offer no-obligation, free consultations to start.